Make the most of winters seasonal best by matching sweet crimson rhubarb with cinnamon and star anise in this decadent dessert.
The ingredient of Buttermilk pudding with spiced rhubarb
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon gelatine powder
- 300ml buttermilk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 1 orange
- 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar, extra
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 600g rhubarb, washed, leaves removed, trimmed, cut into 6cm pieces
The instruction how to make Buttermilk pudding with spiced rhubarb
- Use a sharp knife to scrape the seeds from vanilla bean into a small saucepan. Discard the bean. Add the pouring cream and sugar to the pan, and place over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Place the hot water in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle over the gelatine and whisk with a fork until the gelatine dissolves. Add to the cream mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in the buttermilk. Transfer to a medium bowl and place in the fridge, whisking occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk the thickened cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold half the cream into the buttermilk mixture. Repeat with remaining cream.
- Spoon the mixture into a 6cm-deep, 8 x 22cm (base measurement) loaf pan. Place in the fridge overnight to set.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel half the rind from the orange. Use a small sharp knife to remove the white pith from the rind. Cut the rind into very thin strips. Place the orange rind, wine, extra sugar, cinnamon and star anise in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the rhubarb and cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.
- To turn out the pudding, dip the base of the pan quickly into hot water. Use the point of a round-bladed knife to loosen the edges. Turn onto a clean work surface. Cut into slices and serve with the spiced rhubarb mixture.
Nutritions of Buttermilk pudding with spiced rhubarbcalories: 388.853 calories
calories: 16 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 50 grams carbohydrates
calories: 50 grams sugar
calories: 7 grams protein
calories: 48 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 66.42 milligrams sodium