A cup of tea and a slice of traditional cherry pud â€“ its a Christmas treat!
The ingredient of Steamed cherry pudding
- 250g packet dried dates, chopped
- 3 cups mixed dried fruit
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 415g can stoneless black cherries in syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Custard, to serve
The instruction how to make Steamed cherry pudding
- Place dates, dried fruit, butter, sugar and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until butter is melted. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Cool completely.
- Grease an 8-cup-capacity metal pudding basin with lid. Line base with 2 layers of baking paper. Grease inside the lid.
- Drain syrup from cherries and reserve. Reserve 1/3 cup cherries. Quarter remaining cherries. Place on a plate lined with paper towel. Pat dry.
- Add eggs to fruit mixture. Mix well. Sift over flours, spice and cinnamon. Add almond meal. Stir well to combine. Add quartered cherries and brandy. Stir well. Spoon mixture into prepared basin. Level top. Tap pan gently on bench to remove any air bubbles. Level top. Secure lid.
- Place basin in a large saucepan. Pour enough boiling water into saucepan to come halfway up side of basin. Cover. Place over medium heat. Boil for 5 hours, adding more boiling water when necessary (see Notes). Remove from heat.
- Combine reserved cherry syrup and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Carefully lift basin from water. Stand for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Turn out pudding onto a heatproof plate. Top with reserved cherries and drizzle with a little syrup. Serve with remaining syrup and custard.
Nutritions of Steamed cherry puddingcalories: 776.272 calories
calories: 23.1 grams fat
calories: 12 grams saturated fat
calories: 126.7 grams carbohydrates
calories: 10.7 grams protein
calories: 73 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 563 milligrams sodium