Create a classic family favourite with this traditional Christmas pudding, topped with candied orange slices and drizzle with warm maple syrup.
The ingredient of Classic Christmas pudding
- 700g Sunbeam Mixed Fruit, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1 green apple, peeled, coarsely grated
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) golden syrup
- 4 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (175g) fresh white breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 110g slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
The instruction how to make Classic Christmas pudding
- Combine the fruit, brandy or orange juice, lemon rind, orange rind and apple in a bowl. Cover. Set aside for 2 hours to soak.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and brown sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in golden syrup. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add to the fruit mixture and combine. Stir in the breadcrumbs, flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and almonds.
- Grease an 8-cup (2L) pudding basin. Line base with a disc of baking paper. Dust sides with flour. Spoon in mixture. Smooth surface. Cut a 30cm square of baking paper and foil. Fold the centre to pleat. Place over basin, foil-side up. Use a lid or tie string twice around the top to secure. Scrunch paper and foil tightly around the rim of the basin.
- Place an upturned heatproof saucer in the base of a large saucepan. Place the pudding basin on the saucer. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the basin. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer, adding more boiling water as necessary, for 6 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Carefully remove pudding from saucepan. Set aside in the basin for 10 mins before turning out onto a serving plate.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 100C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Combine the caster sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a frying pan over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add half the orange slices. Bring to the boil. Simmer until the orange rind is slightly translucent. Transfer the orange slices to 1 lined tray. Repeat with the remaining orange slices. Bake for 1 hour or until dry.
- Top pudding with candied orange slices and drizzle with maple syrup.
Nutritions of Classic Christmas puddingcalories: