This sponge cake drizzled with maple syrup and mascarpone is the ultimate winter warmer!
The ingredient of Steamed sponge with vanilla mascarpone
- Butter for greasing
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125g brown sugar
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Maple syrup, to serve (optional)
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
The instruction how to make Steamed sponge with vanilla mascarpone
- Grease a 1.25-litre pudding basin with butter. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, carrot, banana, eggs and oil in a bowl. Using electric beaters, beat for 5 minutes until smooth. Stir in the walnuts. Pour into the pudding basin.
- Cut a 30cm-square of baking paper and a 30cm-square of foil. Place paper on foil and fold to make a pleat in the centre.
- Place over the basin, foil-side up, then tie securely with kitchen string to cover. Place the basin in a large saucepan and fill with enough boiling water to come two-thirds of the way up the basin.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat for about 2 hours, topping up with water if needed. The pudding is done when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean but is still slightly sticky.
- Meanwhile, for the vanilla mascarpone, mix together the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl until smooth. Chill until needed.
- Remove the basin from the pan and cool for 10 minutes. Carefully turn out on to a serving plate. Drizzle with maple syrup, slice and serve warm with the mascarpone.
Nutritions of Steamed sponge with vanilla mascarponecalories: 666.332 calories
calories: 46 grams fat
calories: 15 grams saturated fat
calories: 54 grams carbohydrates
calories: 36 grams sugar
calories: 9 grams protein
calories: 503.16 milligrams sodium