These mini chocolate trifles are the perfect finishing touch for your festive feast.
The ingredient of Mini chocolate cherry trifles
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) full cream milk
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup (35g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 8 large Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 80g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 550g fresh cherries, halved, pitted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons milk chocolate curls, shaved from a block with a vegetable peeler
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) canola oil
- 2 large Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (flakes preferred)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk or milk
The instruction how to make Mini chocolate cherry trifles
- To make chocolate sheet cake: Position a rack in centre of oven and preheat oven to 175u00b0C (155u00b0C fan-forced). Spray a 30cm x 20cm lamington pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2/3 cup (160ml) water to a simmer over high heat. Add cocoa powder. Whisk for 1 min or until mixture thickens slightly. Cool for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, sift flour and bicarbonate of soda into a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and salt to blend. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk.
- Whisk in cocoa mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 mins or until cake springs back when gently pressed and a toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 30 mins to cool. Carefully run a knife along edges to release cake from pan. Invert cake onto a cutting board and remove baking paper.
- Cut half the cake into 2cm cubes for the trifles and store the rest for another use. (see notes)
- To make Mini chocolate cherry trifles: In a large saucepan, whisk 1 1/4 cups (310ml) cream, milk, 1/2 cup (110g) sugar and cocoa powder until blended. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk u00bd cup (110g) sugar, egg yolks, cornflour and u00be tsp salt for 1 min or until pale and thick. Gradually whisk warm cream mixture into yolk mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Using a whisk, stir constantly over medium-low heat for 5 mins or until a few bubbles burst on surface and mixture is thick and glossy. Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla. Cover and set aside for 10 mins or until slightly cooled. Whisk in butter until blended. Strain custard through a fine sieve into a shallow baking dish. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Chill until cold, about 2 hours. Just before using, stir gently to loosen.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss cherries, lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to coat. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, for about 30 mins or until juices form.
- Layer half of the cake pieces and cherries in twelve 2/3 cup (160ml) dessert glasses. Spoon 1 tbs cherry juices over each. Spoon custard over cake pieces and cherries. Repeat with remaining cake, cherries and juices. Refrigerate for 2 hours for flavours to blend.
- Just before serving, in a medium bowl, whip remaining 3/4 cup cream until thick stiff peaks form. Spoon over the trifles and sprinkle with chocolate curls.
Nutritions of Mini chocolate cherry triflescalories: