Quaff down these moreish chocolate, coconut & lemon bars while you watch the MasterChef grand finale!
The ingredient of Chocolate, coconut and lemon bars
- 220g cold unsalted butter
- 120g (1 2/3 cups) shredded coconut, plus extra, to decorate
- 200g (1 1/4 cups) icing sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 lemons, zested, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
The instruction how to make Chocolate, coconut and lemon bars
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease an 8-hole, 6cm x 9cm mini loaf pan and line bases with baking paper.
- Melt 150g butter in a small pan over low heat. Place coconut in a large bowl. Sift over icing sugar, flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in zest, vanilla, melted butter and egg whites until just combined.
- Spoon batter into lined pan and bake for 25 minutes or until bars are golden and spring back when lightly pressed. Immediately run a small knife around each bar, then carefully ease them out of the pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon curd, place egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl and whisk until combined. Add lemon juice and whisk until incorporated. Fill a saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a simmer over lowu2013medium heat. Place bowl over the pan and whisk continuously for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens to the consistency of double cream. Whisk in 50g finely chopped butter until melted, then chill for 2 hours to firm. Makes 1 1/4 cups.
- Place chocolate and remaining 20g chopped butter in a small heatproof bowl, then place bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
- To assemble, cut coconut bars in half horizontally. Spread with lemon curd, then sandwich bars. Spread chocolate on top and decorate with extra coconut. Chill for 5 minutes to firm chocolate.
Nutritions of Chocolate, coconut and lemon barscalories: 560.933 calories
calories: 38 grams fat
calories: 25 grams saturated fat
calories: 49 grams carbohydrates
calories: 43 grams sugar
calories: 6 grams protein
calories: 92.93 milligrams sodium